In previous posts we’ve covered how Brazilians and other Latin Americans are embracing social TV, that is, watching TV with a mobile device and interacting with the shows. Now a new study from the Communications School at the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile details for the first time how Chileans engage in social TV. The study surveyed more than 3,200 Chileans between December 2013 and January 2014. Here’s a look at relevant findings for agencies and advertisers.
OVERALL COMBINATION OF TV AND MOBILE DEVICES
- 81% of Chilean Internet users say they use smartphones while watching TV and 52% combine using PCs with watching TV
- The main activity that Chilean Internet users perform while watching TV with mobile devices is surf the Internet (39% reported doing so)
- Other popular online activities for Chilean Internet users who watch TV while using mobile devices include searching for information (30%), reading news (24%) and listening to or downloading music (21%)
HOW CHILEANS INTEGRATE SOCIAL MEDIA WITH TV WATCHING
- Eight in 10 (81.8%) of Chilean Internet users go on social networks while watching TV, with 75% using Facebook
- 65% of Chilean Internet users have used social media to comment on TV shows they watch
- Chileans tend to go on social media to comment about TV shows from 10 PM on (50%) versus between 7 and 10 PM (31%)
- Nearly 23% of Chilean Internet users have nearly always started watching TV shows or changed what they’re watching due to social media comments
- 35% have only switched what they watch on TV due to social media when they did not know what they wanted to watch, while nearly 15% say their TV choices have never been influenced by social media
- Interesting things that happen onscreen (68%), mistakes or false information (62%), flubs by TV personalities (47%), prize offerings (32%) and the start of commercial breaks (30%) are what spur Chileans to take to social networks to comment about TV
- The main types of TV content that Chileans talk about on social media are movies (40%), news (39%), TV shows (38%), current events or politics (32%) and sports (27%)
- 43% of Chilean Internet users say they would like to receive personalized recommendations about TV based on their use of the Internet
A number of brands are trying to take advantage of this growing trend of social TV in markets like Chile. One interesting way is through Shazam, the mobile phone app. Shazam can be integrated with TV commercials to offer viewers more information about programs and include some extra advertising to reach them.
Contact us to find out more about Shazam or to see how we can help your agency increase its efficiencies via media services and new technology developed for the Latam market.