A number of recent studies have tested recall, top-of-mind awareness and trust for different consumer brands and media outlets in Brazil. The recent results may be helpful for marketers and media professionals when it comes to their next campaigns.
Top-of-Mind Media Outlets
The Associação Brasileira de Anunciantes (Brazlian Advertisers Association) collaborated with TopBrands Consultoria de Branding to survey more than 2,000 Brazilians around the country. Relevant survey results include the following conclusions.
VEJA AND GLOBO HAVE THE HIGHEST TOP-OF-MIND AWARENESS AMONG BRAZILIANS
These 2 media brands were included among the top 14 brands of all types in terms of top-of-mind. Veja had the highest top-of-mind score among magazines, with 44%, while Globo’s was 62%, top among TV networks. Interestingly, these two media brands also had a higher top-of-mind score than those of Visa (40%), Itaú (28%) and Volkswagen (32%).
TOP-OF-MIND SHIFTS BY CITY
Not surprisingly, media outlets in specific cities showed more top-of-mind awareness than outlets in other cities. As such, Folha de São Paulo scored the highest top-of-mind for newspapers in São Paulo, but Zero Hora scored the highest in Porto Alegre, Super Notícia scored the highest in Belo Horizonte and O Globo scored the highest in Río. That said, radio network Jovem Pan ranked highest in top-of-mind in three different cities: Brasilia, Curtiba and São Paulo.
IN BRAZIL, RADIO IS THE MOST TRUSTED MEDIA OUTLET
When the study asked respondents about their trust level of both product types and forms of media, radio was number one in trustworthiness, with 87%, followed by free TV (83%), Internet (82%), newspapers (79%) and magazines (78%).
BRANDS MOST DISCUSSED ON SOCIAL MEDIA IN BRAZIL
Another component of this study looked at how many of the respondents discussed brands on social media. The study organized the respondents into 5 groups: content producers (21% of the total, people who produce content on social media); sharers (40% of the total, people who don’t produce content but do share it); bystanders (8% of the total, people who hardly use social media); and non-users of social media (3% of the total); and non-Internet users, which was 27% of the total.
Overall, the study group shows a fairly high rate of engagement with social media since 21% are writing about brands and 40% are sharing content, a total of 61%.
The most-discussed media brands on social media in Brazil are:
- Superinteressante, a magazine (93%)
- Joven Pam, a radio network (87%)
- Globo.com, an Internet portal (85%)
- Folha de São Paulo, a newspaper (75%)
- Globo, the TV network (58%)
Going beyond just media, Folha recently released the results of its annual Top-of-Mind Survey that focuses on the brands that Brazilians remember most. Here’s a look at the best-recalled brands in different categories:
- Smartphone: Samsung (15%)
- Broadband: Oi (11%)
- Cell phone service: Vivo (32%)
- Cable TV provider: Sky (41%)
- Bank: Banco do Brasil (35%)
- Credit card: Visa (37%)
- Health plan: Unimed (32%)
- Health insurance: Bradesco (9%)
- Milk: Itambé (12%), Ninho (12%) and Parmalat (11%)
- Chocolate: Nestlé (33%)
- Margarine: Qualy (27%)
- Mayonnaise: Hellman’s (69%)
- Stove: Dako (22%) and Brastempo (19%)
- Washing machine: Brastemp (35%)
- Refrigerator: Consul (37%)
- Notebook: Samsung (10%)
- TV: LG (17%) and Philips (14%)
- Fan: Arno (46%)
- Soft drink: Coca-Cola (62%)
- Beer: Skol (40%)
HEALTH AND BEAUTY
- Mouthwash: Listerine (20%) e Colgate (17%)
- Toothpaste: Colgate (54%)
- Razor: Gillette (42%)
- Sunscreen: Sundown (18%)
- Disposable diapers: Pampers (35%)
- Hair dye: Koleston (12%)
- Shampoo: Seda (30%)
- Soap: Lux (31%)
- Deodorant: Rexona (40%)
- Car: Volkswagen (29%)
- Gas: Petrobras (20%)
- Tire: Pirelli (42%)
To find out how we can help you reach Brazil via a strategic campaign across all media, please contact us.
[twitter style=”vertical” float=”left”] [fblike style=”box_count” float=”left” showfaces=”false” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”] [linkedin_share style=”top” float=”left”] [fbshare type=”button” float=”left”]