E-Commerce Explodes in Brazil

This post is also available in: Spanish

According to eMarketer, Brazil’s B2C e-commerce sales will total $18.7 billion in 2012—a jump of 21.9% compared to 2011. And the growth goes on from there. By 2015, eMarketer projects that B2C e-commerce sales in Brazil will reach $26.9 billion, with 31.6 million Brazilians making at least one online purchase that year.

According to eMarketer, a number of factors are driving the growth:

Multiple payment options. While 63% of Brazilian online shoppers used credit cards to make their purchases in 2010, the remaining 37% used boletos bancários. These are slips that a buyer prints out from the merchant’s Web site and takes to their bank to physically make the payment for the item. The buyer can also use the boleto bancário to make a payment via online banking. Either way, it’s a secure purchase method for buyers who don’t have credit cards.

Online security. Many potential e-customers in Brazil and Latin America have been hesitant to buy online because of security concerns. However, a 2011 survey from the Câmara Brasileira de Comércio Eletrônico indicates that 70% of Brazilian Internet users feel that online security has improved in recent years.

Further Factors
However, other changes happening in Brazil could very well impact e-commerce in 2012 and beyond.

>>>More users. First, projections suggest that 70% to 80% of Brazilian households could have Internet access by 2015—which means Brazil could go from having 78 million Internet users in 2011 to over 140 million by 2015.

>>>More mobile. The deep Internet penetration projected for 2015 refers to traditional PC connections. However, mobile phone penetration is at over 100% in Brazil and in fact, mobile devices are the #2 way for Brazilians to access the Internet. In addition, a 2011 survey from the Mobile Entertainment Forum revealed that 79% of Brazilians use their cell phones in some phase of the purchase process. Putting these two facts together suggests that mobile commerce (m-commerce) could soon start to take off in Brazil, further growing the country’s e-commerce market.

>>>More credit. According to  the Associação Brasileira das Empresas de Cartões de Crédito e Serviços, credit card ownership among Brazilians went up in 2011. The organization surveyed 4,000 Brazilian consumers and found that 72% had either credit or debit cards, up from 68% in 2010. The survey also showed that nearly half of the class C Brazilians who responded had credit cards, up from 38% in 2010. Obviously, credit cards make e-commerce a lot easier, and if this trend continues, even more Brazilian buyers could enter the country’s online marketplace.

To find out how we can help you reach the Brazilian market with an innovative crossmedia or online campaign, please contact us at info@usmediaconsulting.com.

[twitter style=”vertical” float=”left”] [fblike style=”box_count” float=”left” showfaces=”false” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”] [linkedin_share style=”top” float=”left”] [fbshare type=”button” float=”left”]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>